top of page
Jewish Agricultural Society
In 1900, the Jewish Agricultural Society, with support from the Baron de Hirsch philanthropies, began establishing programs to help Jewish immigrants become farmers and develop agricultural settlements throughout the US and Canada. One of their largest areas of settlement was in the Catskills and the Rondout Valley. An office was established in Ellenville (other offices were in New York and Chicago) to assist settlers with properties, loans, technical support, education and the establishment of community services such as synagogues, mikvah, Talmud Torah Teachers...
In their 1944 publication, the JAS reports they have approved 14,371
loans in 40 states since 1900.
Tifereth Yehudah V Yisrael / Kerhhonkson Synagogue was an early beneficiary and is listed as one of the
" Offspring of the Hebrew Aid Society "
See some other historic
Catskill Synagogues here
Read the publication of the JAS in the DOCX below
bottom of page